Click the Follow button to be sure you are receiving updates.

Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Linux , Networking and you.

Its not too far off to say that working in Linux is in many ways like working inside of a router or switch. The interfaces in the command line are similar and the commands are slightly different, but you will need to know the difference between a supernet,a subnet, a broadcast ip address and a multicast address. It is not too hard to learn networking if you already understand Linux, and vice versa.

When I first got into Linux I had no idea what I was doing and crashed my install 11 times in a row before I got it running correctly with sound. After that fiasco I sprang for a Windows ME machine because it was a multimedia PC and it had s-video out and rca video out. I had only seen that on more expensive pc's and video cards. I bought this PC online from new startup company for around $600 in 2000, for which at that time the computer was easily worth $1300. I love promo's and grand opening deals.

SO as I got further into networking in college we began to dabble in Linux, as in take classes. That is when I realized that since I now know how to program a CISCO router, that I can work Linux easily and any command I type in makes sense now. Maybe it is because the CISCO text books were better written than an instruction manual for RedHat Linux - Fedora. Since purchasing my own CISCSO 2960 series switch, I have begun to practice setting up switches and networks and VPN's or Virtual Private Networks. I now have the brilliant idea to connect my CISCO switch to my home network, because my Spectrum switch is failing out...bad.

Now I need to buy a SFP for my switch which will allow it to accept a RJ45 Ethernet link to the switch. I purchased this transceiver device from the same place I bought the switch from, but low and behold, it was a counterfeit CISCO device.





 I didnt even know that they were out there making cheap knockoffs. The thing is that my SFP transceiver is heavy and good quality construction for being accused of counterfeit. Even the CISCO rep stated that it was good quality construction and it could just be a re manufactured unit, since it does communicate with the switch. I guess some cheap devices wont even talk with the switch and sometimes fry out the ports. That would suck to watch my $500 48 port 2960LX switch burn out.

I have since contacted the company and they promptly sent me out a new Official GLC-TSFP. As you can see the difference is night and day between a counterfeit unit and an official device.




 Now to just configure the CISCO AIR-CAP3502I-A-K9 AP that came with the switch. Time to hunt for an IOS that I wont get charged an arm and a leg for.

No comments:

Post a Comment