Click the Follow button to be sure you are receiving updates.

Friday, November 15, 2019

I missed yesterdays blog because I got high....off of Linux


I missed yesterdays blog because I was trying to reformat and rescue an sd card from the depths of SD hell. So I am making an early morning entry and a afternoon entry for today.


It was a 16gb Kingston card and it had NOOBS installed on it for the raspberry pi small board computer. What corrupted the card is that I was writing to the card by saving data when I had a power outage at the house. That in turn junked the card. i am now using some Linux programs to try and save the card so it can be used again.


The programs that I am using in Linux are:

  • Ddrescue Data Recovery Tool
  • SafeCopy
  • TestDisk
  • Redo Backup and Recovery
  • SystemRescue CD
  • Avira Rescue System
  • Knoppix.
  • Trinity Rescue Kit
  • GParted Live - Didnt work
  • Foremost
  • Scalpel
  • grep
  • Ultimate Boot CD



Since GParted did not work I am not having too much hope for this sd card. I know it seems quite a bit for just an sd card but I want to restore its functionality and I do not care about recovering its data at all.


I am really hoping that I can get this card recovered since it is so handy to have 2 16gb cards instead of 1. not to mention that I had the card for 2 months and it was killed off. as you can imagine since it was a Kingston 16gb high speed card it was not cheap, as in not $10 or $15.



To further prevent the loss of anymore cards in the future I now use a APC Uninterruptible Power Supply Battery Backup & Surge Protector at 600VA on all my computer equipment, especially now that you can obtain them on Amazon.com for a reasonable price. $60 is not much for a reasonable piece of mind.




I have experience using these units and when the computer shuts down it will still run for about 30 minutes, which is more than enough time to save data and shut down. I also use the provided USB cable so that if I am not home, the computer automatically saves all data to a special folder and then shuts down the computer when the UPS detects it is running on battery power.

Now it is back to the lab again so I can try and rescue that card. I might have to call it a lost cause after the weekend. I will update the website when I try again.



No comments:

Post a Comment